Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Privilege of Being a Mother


I come from a literary family. They write poems in small notebooks, in odd hours, and stuff them in drawers.  They never publish anything, never make any money, and never think that they are talented.  Nevertheless, the testaments remain.  Passed down in the family by those who are more interested in family history than in literature, these works have accumulated to something of a body by my generation.  I type them, gather them, treasure them, tell my children about them -- and now finally -- share them.

This poem was written by my aunt, my mother's only sibling.  She had only one child. After reading this poem you may think, as I do, that being a mother was the high point of her life.  

If you are a mother, pat yourself on the back.  You have accomplished the most important job of your life!!!

The Privilege of Being a Mother

She passed me on the street one day
Dressed in her silks and furs,
The dog that trotted on her leash
Was not a common cur,
He boasted ancestors on each side
With a mile long pedigree.
Yet a stab of pity filled my heart,
Though a wealthy woman is she.

Her husband is a kindly man
Generous, loving and true,
Her home is quite luxurious
With broad lands and a beautiful view,
She owns diamonds and jewels rare,
Each worth a princely sum,
But no childish laughter fills the halls
Of the mansion she calls home.

I do not envy her her wealth,
Nor long to take her place,
My jewels rare are two blue eyes
In a laughing, childish face,
My precious gems are ruby lips
And ringlets of golden hair,
Compared to my great treasure,
Her life seems cold and bare.

She has never felt soft, dimpled arms
Around her neck entwined,
Nor held a little hand in hers
With a love that’s undefined,
She has never had a curly head
Laid gently on her breast
With two bright eyes gazing into hers
In confidence and trust.

Would she like a child? I asked myself,
Ah! yes, I think she would
But an unkind Fate denied to her
The joys of motherhood,
And I think if the truth were ever known,
In spite of the fuss and the bother,
She would exchange her wealth and her beautiful home.
For the privilege of being a mother.





Erma I. Walker
10-31-46

No comments:

Post a Comment