Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A GOOD LAUGH IS HARD TO FIND



We have very few good humorists these days.  We have what I call dumb comedy, we have dysfunctional comedy, and we have stand-up comedy.  But a humorist is something different. 

A humorist sees life in a special way because he has lived – and survived to tell about it!  A humorist may appeal to the regional or to the universal, and yet everyone laughs.  A humorist isn’t funny in every line; sometimes he is poignant.  Sometimes an unexpected zinger will send you into stomach-crunching guffaws, but often he will also bring you to tears.

A humorist makes you think about life, makes your life richer, and makes you feel so good you want to go out and love everybody.  A humorist doesn’t weigh you down with judgments, pour vinegar over your skin with sarcasm, or purse up your lips like you’re eating lemons.

A humorist doesn’t try to make you laugh in order to get attention.  Oh, they may get a paycheck from what they do, but they’re really after something else.  They are after putting something right with the human condition – for themselves and anyone who will listen.  And they do this without teacher’s pointer, coaches’ whistle or conductor’s baton.  They are not pundits.  They are much too sneaky for that.  You laugh before you know what hit you, and then you cry before you processed what you were laughing about.

Have you figured out who I am talking about yet?  It’s not Owen Wilson, though hats off to those who appreciate his humor.  It’s not Jerry Seinfeld or Ray Romano.  I am talking about Erma Bombeck.  I am talking about Bill Cosby.  Does anyone else come to mind?  If you haven’t heard of either of them you’re wet behind the ears and, unfortunately, among the disadvantaged.

When I listen to Jerry, Ray and Owen, I sometimes titter or snigger, but after awhile I begin to feel depressed about the human condition.  The same with many of the plots in the so-called “romantic comedy” movies.  Seeping into my subconscious from these is an unformed question: “Is our existence truly banal, superficial, and meaningless?”  On the contrary, after reading Erma or Bill I pick myself up off the floor, or off the couch, straighten up taller, and rejoin the human race.  Emphasis on human.

All comedians like to quote the proverb, “Laughter is good medicine,” but some medicine is better than others.  Some medicine doesn’t work.  Some medicine makes you sicker, or sicker with different illnesses.  Good comedians heal you with laughter that feels and smells like the world after a spring rain.

Take Erma for instance.  Sometimes her references are regional – what Midwestern cook has not begun to fear the pot of green pea soup that refuses to disappear?  And sometimes they are American-universal – like the mother who fell on her knees after going into her son’s bedroom and prayed “Please, God.  No more. You were only supposed to give me what I could handle.”  But the real reason they are universal is because they cover a universal subject – motherhood.  I’m sure even the Zulu mom could get a laugh out of her reflections on “Spit” in its various motherly uses.

So will you please pray with me that God sends us a few more good humorists!  We need them more than we know.  Not only may our health depend on them (Norman Cousins famously claimed that his did), but our will to wake up tomorrow.

I’m a realist – I’ll never be like Erma or Bill, making the world a saner place through laughter.

But I’ll leave you with a good Erma quote, in typical self-deprecating manner (which is comedic genius):

“I like to imagine that after a person has read our waters are polluted, the world is in flames, streets are crime-ridden, [and] drugs are rampant… [that] she’ll read how the dryer returns only one sock to me from every two I put in and I tell my kids ‘the other one went to live with Jesus,’ and maybe [she’ll] smile.”*

I did, Erma.


*Forever, Erma, Erma Bombeck, Andrews and McMeel, Kansas City, 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment